Saturday, June 28, 2008

Yes, I cakap (speak) Malay, too! =D

Recently read a blog entry by a fellow bro-in-Christ who's been quite busy gobbling away in Singapore. (TEHHEHEE...~~~ watch the weight, bro!!)
Anyway, as I tend to visualize quite a fair bit, I guess when he got me imagining what it'll feel like sitting by the beach reflecting over the past experiences of our own lives, it didn't take me long to spot my most recent 'ah I know why' moment!

About experience with my current client so far, I'm currently assigned to a company whose staff are 80% Malays. I wasn't too comfortable with the idea at first, especially because I have communicate with them in Malay. During that one week of work at my client's office, I confess that I have been whinging a lot to myself about being 'disadvantaged' because I have to adapt to their preferred language. As I was sharing my dissatisfaction to my aunt recently, a revelation suddenly crossed my mind and it really blew me away!

My 'ah I know why' moment came to past when I recalled the time when I went to a hospital visitation at a paediatric ward with my church mates. Majority of the patients converse in Malay as most of them were either Malays or native East Malaysians. I had to share the gospel and pray in Malay for their sake. My partner, Jo couldn't speak Malay very well so I had to help her in translation. I wasn't too good at sharing in that language and honestly, I felt lost for words when I prayed. At that time, I really felt that I needed to surrender my mouth to the Lord to anoint my lips and the words that were spoken, although they were just simple words. However, I still wished that I could have done better.

It really got thinking about how self-centered I am about wanting to have things my way all the time. It's like as if I would prefer to do the things I am called to do only if it's easy. If only my clients would communicate with me in English, I think I would work more effectively. If only everyone in the face of the earth speaks English, sharing the gospel would have been more effective. Do these sound familiar to you? The question is, do I really get to choose my ways? Was the world created to fit my comfortable shell? Not that all. I was brought to remember in Matthew 24 about the signs of the end of age when Jesus said that the gospel of the kingdom must be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations before the Son of Man returns. The phrase 'all nations' caught my attention. It triggered to me that if I don't change this attitude of mine, I'll be a stumbling block in the work of God. The unreached are usually the ones who don't speak "our language". Just because it's harder to communicate, sometimes we choose to forget about them. If majority of us are thinking that way, aren't we just slowing down the process of getting the most important "task" done? Effective, we say? You see the irony?



So, the highlight of this whole post is....

"Ah.... I know why I'm posted to this client now. I am supposed to improve in my Malay so I can share the gospel in Malay!"

Hehe.. I'll be posted in this company till end of August. So, I have got 2 more months to practice. :P


"Makcik, pernah dengar pasal Jesus? Nak tahu kenapa Jesus cintamu?"
(Aunty, ever heard of Jesus? Wanna know why he loves you?)


*LoL*.... I'm still learning... trying to improve!!!


Here are some photos of the hospital visitation trip that I 'stole' off someone's Facebook. Heh.



This is Jo, with baby Ivy who was admitted due to chest infection.
I hope you're well now, cutesy!

My girls cellmates who came for the hospital visitation.


The girls again, with all the gifts for the kids.


1 comment:

Chickenriceboy said...

Me Ran DUH . ku pahamkan maksud anda bila anda mengalami sedikit kesusahan untuk bersaksi dalam bahasa melayu..

Tidak perlu risau kerana ada jalur berlebar untuk menemui jawapan dalam penterjemahaan dalam bahasa indon yang paling dekat .



Karena begitu besar kasih Allah akan dunia ini, sehingga Ia telah mengaruniakan AnakNya yang tunggal, supaya setiap orang yang percaya kepadaNya tidak binasa, melainkan beroleh hidup yang kekal. Yohanes 3:16


John 3:16


Bersaksi dalam bahasa melayu perlu kan anda menukar pikiran and not think in english translate to bm.