Monday, January 13, 2014

Wearing My Heart At My Sleeves

What does it feel like when the heart sticks loosely at the sleeves? Imagine that heart stuck on the sleeves by some cello-tape which holds it on "imprudently". Imagine just more emotions pouring into it. 


Sticking on...
Photo credits  Idiom Kids

It gets heavier, it might just lose its ability to hang on then when it cannot take the weight anymore, it helplessly falls downwards, downwards, downwards. Why is it that when you love, you "fall" in love? Why that vulnerable verb?
It's hard to comprehend the kind of message its trying to convey. Feelings don't come in labels. Maybe that's why I find it quite scary to feel with my heart. Stricken by the thought of trying to pick up a fallen heart. 

Hence I process my feelings with my mind. Someone once said to me, "Mir, stop feeling with your head. How about think with your heart?" A pretty interesting thought.  Then how do you resolve this when it says, "The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it?" Uncanny, isn't it? I've resorted to "Guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life." So the word says "guard your heart". Maybe in some ways I guard it like I own it. I don't want anyone to see my secret garden. And I build my fences around it with so many markers that no one gets to come in. Sometimes even the Father. 

Although the heart is unpredictable, the mind cannot process it, I've come to realise that the heart is quite a champ in holding itself together. It is capable of mending itself, self-repair, even after falling into the wrong pits, injuring itself. For some reason, its the "most devoted body part". It climbs itself back up again. It's almost like when you fall and bruise yourself, the old skin peels off, fresh wounds hurt so bad, but a new layer of skin just regenerates by itself and it heals. It's a revelation to me that it's actually ok to open up that fence a little to let that body part explore itself and let it do what it should. Feel. It just knows what to do. Because the Creator has made it perfect. Just how it should be. Just let it be. 

So, Heart, you might appreciate this, "THANK YOU", Heart, for being the most devoted body part. ;) 


Take care of the heart. But don't guard it too hard.


Message From Your Heart
~Kina Grannis~

Don't break me, I bruise easily
The source of both, your love and misery
I am steady, beating endlessly
While you are dozing, dreaming pretty things

I don't work for free
Please take care of me

This is a message from your heart
Your most devoted body part
Taking blood and making art

This is a message from your heart
Pounding away into the dark
You could thank me for a start
This is a message from your heart

Don't hurt me, I bleed constantly
My efforts leave me but flow back swiftly
My rhythm soothing, like raindrops steady
On foggy windows when you gaze outwardly

I don't work for free
Please take care of me

This is a message from your heart
Your most devoted body part
Taking blood and making art

This is a message from your heart
Pounding away into the dark
You could thank me for a start
This is a message from your heart
This is a message from your heart

Every time you sleep
Every time you eat
Every time you laugh

This is a message from your heart
Your most devoted body part
Taking blood and making art

Every time you cry
This is a message from your heart
Pounding away into the dark
You could thank me for a start

Every time you love
This is a message from your heart
This is a message from your heart
This is a message from your heart


No comments: